Cameras & Lenses
The Red One Raven Preview
Aspiring Filmies Unite!
The Red Digital Camera Company Red INC. has announced their newest addition to the RED family. The Red Raven
RED RAVEN boasts the full capabilities of the RED DRAGON sensor family in our smallest form factor to date. Weighing in at just 3.5 lbs, RED RAVEN gives you the ultimate blend of flexibility and performance. Whether shooting for documentaries, online content creation, indie filmmaking, or with drones and gimbals—RED RAVEN’s durable, lightweight construction is ideal for any situation.
Here is a summary of what we know for about the RED Raven far: WEAPON style body – RAVEN is part of 2nd generation DSMC platform. Red Raven uses a 4K DRAGON SENSOR and its size is 20.48mm wide. Size is bigger than Micro 4/3, but smaller than APS-C and Super 35.
Micro 4/3’rds = 17.3mm | 2.0 Crop
Canon 7D APS-C = 22.7mm | 1.6 crop
Red Raven 20.48mm | 1.8 crop
This is rather interesting as the crop factors of the smaller sensors are very close so DSLR users will be familiar with and comfortable converting lenses to their desired effects. My biggest hope will be if Metabones gets onboard and produces a booster with their amazing F stop boost and 0.71x Crop factor just think of the Image You can capture with this!
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116
Pro DX Digital Zoom Lens (for Canon EOS Cameras)
- 11mm Wide Angle Will Translate to a Fantastic 14mm with a booster or 20mm without.
- F Stop of 2.8 Which is Decent, but a 1.8 would be mind-blowing!
- RED Dragon 16.5+ Stops of Dynamic Range / BMCC-12 & GH4R-12
- Red RAW – Amazing Color Control – ProRes support for the inept editors as well.
Features a glance
Close Up View Of Sensor Area of The Red Raven
- WEAPON style body – RAVEN is part of 2nd generation DSMC platform
- Red Raven uses a Mini – 4K DRAGON SENSOR
- Full-frame crop factor is 1.8x.
- Fixed Canon EF mount – so forget about Speed Boosters
- It will not shoot 5K
- REDCODE Raw 5:1 compression
- 4K at 120fps
- Wi-fi on board
- Records onto MINI Mags – 120GB (coming October), 240GB, 512GB and 1TB
- Weapon accessories and modules will work (most of not all, exactly which ones is TBD)
- Body price – $5,950 Brain Only!
- Targeting sub-$10K market
- Minimum Shooting Kit just below $10K
- Lightest camera RED has ever made – lighter than 3.27 lbs (CF Forged Weapon)
- Not a replacement for the Scarlet
In either case, I think this will be a winning combination for run and gun and the low budget TV show world
and not to mention the occasional Indie-Featured Films.
September 30, 2015 • #red raven, #red raven review